Not just Holistic, but how to use E: All of the Above!

I made this blog because I did tons of research on success stories and research worldwide and used it on my dog with nasal cancer named Lucy. So, now my hobby is molecular biology. The treatment uses combination of health store supplements, some prescription meds, diet changes, and specific Ayurvedic and Chinese medicinal herbs. I just wanted her to have a better quality of life. I thought this combination of E: All the Above (except no radiation or chemo and surgery for this cancer was not an option) would help that for sure, but it actually put her bleeding nasal cancer in remission!
My approach to cancer is about treating the whole animals biologic system. But I do hate the word 'Holistic'. Sounds like hoo hoo. This is science based, research based data and results of using active herbal compounds that happen to be readily available and common. Some call it Nutriceuticals. Others may call it Orthomolecular cancer therapy. Or Cancer Immunotherapy.
I FEEL DIVERSITY IN TREATMENT IS KEY:
-Slow cancer cell reproduction
-Make cancer cells become easier targets for the immune system
-Kill the cancer cells
-Rid the cancer cells
-Remove the toxins it produces
- Stimulate and Modulate the immune system
-Control secondary symptoms like bleeding, infection, inflammation, mucous, appetite, or pain for a better feeling animal
-Working with your vet for exams and prescriptions that are sometimes needed when conditions are acute.
Just by using a multi-modal treatment approach that is as diverse in attack as possible. Both conventional and natural.
The body conditions that allowed it to develop in the first place must be corrected. If caught early enough, like with Lucy, this ongoing maintenance correctional treatment is all that was required at this point to achieve, so far, more than 10 TIMES the life expectancy given (more than 60 months) after diagnosis WITH remission. I did not use radiation or chemotherapy or surgery.
I hope this cancer research can help your dog as well.

My Lucy

My Lucy
In Loving Memory my Lucy December 2016
CURRENT STATUS - It was for more than 5 YEARS after Lucy was diagnosed by biopsy in March 2011 with nasal cancer that she lived. And she was in remission for 4 of 5 years using no radiation or chemo! Now multiply that by 7 to be 35 years extended!! She was 12.5 years old - equivalent to almost 90 human years old. She ended her watch December 1, 2016. I miss her so much.

August 25, 2014

Some Q&A


Some Q&A from 2 weeks ago:
Newest at top to oldest question at bottom
Questioner is in italics.


Hi Gary, 

Yes, they gave me two options....each session requires sedation:
1) the "palliative: option - 6 treatments, once per week over 6 weeks.  They proposed this would give an average of 7 months life expectancy.
2) the "aggressive" treatment - 18 treatments, daily less the weekends.  They proposed this would give an average of 18 months life expectancy.

They told me about the side effects.  I also researched on line.  Didn't like what I saw.
I agree, the benefits of the radiation are limited for the cost.  And most of all, inhumane.

I now have a vet who ordered the Chinese herbs and will probably give the Naltrexone.  Making progress!






Did they tell you that the dog had to be put under anesthesia for every radiation treatment of which there might be 6-10 sessions of them over a few weeks. And talk about secondary late stage effects of radiation? It's kinda bad....  There were 2 dog owners that did it I knew through the blog and both barely made it a year. With the first month being awful treatment, 2 month awful side effects, got better, then cancer came back at 1 year or earlier along with late stage side effects added to everything. Ug. $8000 for them to boot. My protocol helped them some but they waited until the cancer came back to do it and the radiation damage and side effects from it made it much harder for the owner and dog to recover at that point. 
Not that I'm against it, it's just seems like the benefit of that limited time weighed against everything involved, I dunno. I couldn't do it, IMHO. It seems like they should be able to do a better job with radiation these days with targeting.   Dogs do take chemo better than humans BUT you don't get longer lifespan you get some symptomatic control until it all crashes. The body gets so toxic and run down that the cancer comes back pretty fast when it has to change to grow again. Vets give chemo but don't seem to add any immune boosting or other supplements to counter the toxins either. So it might work for a little while but cancer bounces back bad after the weakened state the body is in especially if nothing is added or diet changed to help the dog's immune system keep it back. That's why I researched the heck out what we COULD  do with what anybody in the world had any sort of success with and with easily(well mostly) obtainable stuff. Then, added it all up.... and shoveled it in.
          Good thing she takes all the pills...





Thanks for your insights.   The supplements are still cheaper than the treatments the vet recommended and, most important of all, more humane.  The vet told me my dog would only have about 1.5 years at best with the radiation so I am hoping the alternative approach will buy him at least that much time, rr close to it anyway.
Calling my second second vet tomorrow to see if I can get cooperation on Chinese herbs.



I know it's stupid how they know your dog has terminal cancer, yet don't want to try things. What's the worst that could happen? Geez. I had to find a Holistic vet (more fees) and specifically ask "do you use Stasis Breaker and Wei Qi Booster?". Most do, some don't though. The stuff isn't cheap but it does last long, so you have to do the math to get over the sticker shock. As long as you get the 600gm powdered canisters ($90 for each....) it's not too bad price. It lasts months. But it's only available as an Rx only though registered vets (usually only 'holistic vets'). Like it's some secret patented drug company stuff....! But I simply gave up trying to find an equivalent set of those herbs that were proven safe for dogs. Limited info on this so one has to go with it...  It does work alone ok, but I kitchen sinked it, and added the prescription of Low Dose Naltrexone (3mg liquid dose but made from 50mg pills) (that I had to prove and beg for) and all those pills I researched and Lucy is doing ok after almost 3 years.  Some dogs don't even die from the cancer, it was heart attack, or old age, or side effects of an overzealous vet giving too much Prednisone too quickly and the dog and therefore owner could not 'take it' anymore... Pred can be useful but only carefully ramped up and down, most if not all vets just shovel it in then taper down. Not good. 
If he get tummy issues, just back off a little on the fat and pills for a day or 2 and add some canned pumpkin. Canned pumpkin(not pumpkin pie) helps tummies.





Thanks for your response. I will plan on cutting the capsules in half.  I think that will work best for him because "smarty pants border collie" gently picks out each capsule if in tact and leaves them beside his bowl.  
He doesn't seem to mind the taste so far. 

As for his food, I've had him on Blue Buffalo Wilderness and various organic canned food most of his life but switched to Acana Grasslands about 6 months ago.   Now that he has cancer, I am making his food - I am using the
the BARF for dogs with cancer recipe- yum!  Oh well, he loves it and apparently it masks the taste of the supplements.

I have most of the supplements....still working with the vet trying to get the Stasis Breaker and Wei Qi Booster.  We'll see how many vets I have to go through until one cooperates.

All I can do now is follow the regime, cross my fingers and see if it works for him.  We caught it early so I am hopeful:)

Appreciate your help.  Will keep you posted on progress.









questions =
Hello, My best friend, a 9 year old border collie, was just diagnosed with nasal cancer and I plan to go the holistic supplement route. He is not as big as Lucy - he only weighs about 52 pounds. Should I adjust the dosages of the supplements? Thanks for sharing your journey!


Hi, 
I am so sorry about your dog. I know this is very very hard.
I do order the stuff as capsule format from swansonvitamins.com for just about everything, so you can attempt to adjust for dosages by trying to dump half only of the capsule. Kind of a pain I know. The dog is not going to like the taste of opened up caps very much..... so be sure to start slow adding the pills to warm real foods. You might have to go every other meal in beginning as well. You don't want to dog to get meal aversion. It must have great taste, great aroma, and prey temperature to help trigger a "I am gonna eat this right now!" kind of situation. What do you feed him now?
If you want to start easy instead of all the pills I give to Lucy, there is a list of made for dog stuff on amazon about middle of all pages on right. It's not quite the same breadth and depth or dosages but it might be easier to start with. It all costs......... but it's much much cheaper than contact vet visits for radiation or chemo and can really help quality of life at a minimum, might extend the life, and if lucky put into remission if caught early like with Lucy. Lucy went into remission after about 4 months. Just did a little better every week, then bam. Bleeds stopped, nasal passage opened up, and no more tearing. She was Stage 1 with only minor boney changes at rear of sinus. But man plenty of bleeds. The Yun Nan herb really helps alot with that. Even if just a massive diet change and Yun Nan given this combo alone really helps symptoms(not lifespan though). Your mileage may vary....




I buy most of the stuff from Swanson Vitamins. They are cheaper, in capsules for dosage changes, and carry almost everything I give to Lucy except for the Chinese Herbs Stasis Breaker prescription, and the Low Dose Naltrexone prescription. Here is a $5 off coupon link I found